Delicious Desserts At Derada Brasserie Italian restaurant - and every restaurant's secret stache of old wine

De Rada Brasserie restaurant in Mill Hill. Outdoor seating. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

I have family in Mill Hill who know all the restaurants in Mill Hill. The family had enjoyed lunch here previously and suggested this place for a family dinner so I checked it out online..

The restaurant serves Italian favourites, Prosecco, Pizza and pasta. Not cheap - is anywhere nowadays, mybe some pubs at lunch time. De Rada is open all day until 10 pm for breakfast, lunch (sandwiches) and a la carte for dinner.

First I looked at the drinks. Two kinds of Prosecco by the glass. One is extra brut which is extra dry so I made a note that I wanted the other. Both the same price. 7.25 (pounds sterling).

My husband is a wine educator and was not over excited by the red wines, but conceded he might give one a try.

However, I also liked the green reviver smoothie at five pounds. Maybe the smoothie as a starter.

Their appetizers include olives with ham, and chicken liver parfait. 

Olives. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

On to a look at the main courses. Note that secondi is Italian for second, second course. The I is plural. 

I like chicken. The first chicken on the list seems to come with nothing. I presume they expect you to order a side salad. I've been caught by that before. Instead i would go for the corn fed chicken with crushed potatoes and mushroom sauce. 18.95.

Alternatively I could settle for pizza. One with chicken is Pollo Picante. I am not made about spicy food. It includes chillies with 

The toilet at the back is large and conveneinet for wheelchairs being ground floor.the chicken, peeppers and mushrooms. Only 13.50, so I could opt for a side without breaking the bank. 

Finally, desserts. Cheecake at 6.95. Or a chocolate dessert.

I might pass on the coffee although it is not expensive. Do they do decaff? 

My last questionis, what is the soup of the day. Their phone number is  on their website. I called. It was pea soup.

After I visited it, I can update with my verdict. Did it match the website? 

Yes. The seating was outdoors or inside, with some banquette seating, ideal for us. Large colourful pictures enhance the ambiance. Service was attentive.

The Restaurant Name

The name of the restauran Derada is after the Albanian writer who died in 1903 but is still highly regarded for his influence on patriotic thought.

Starters

For starters we had large olives and liver pate which was a large thick slice with filling bread. Also cheese balls. We had enoughto take a little home.

Main Courses

My main course was chicken with new potatoes and mushrooms in sauce. Filling.Another person ordered steak which was tough, and said the past dishes were a better choice and more popular with our group. 

Chicken, potato, mushrooms in sauce. Photo by Angela Lansbury.


Delightful Desserts

Delightful desserts. Tiramisu and cheecake. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

The desserts wiere the spectacle of the meal. A tiramisu of chocolate, soft and moreeach. The cheescake has an attractive cruchy topping. More and moreish. Wonderful. I would go back just for the cheesecake topping.

Old Wines - Why Are They Hidden

Wines improve with age, like foods left in fridges which evaporate and intensify the flavours. Wines wihout much flavour are sold off straitaway. You don't go to the trouble and expense of storing them. A wine list of all new wines is fine. But specilists look for something special, unusual.

My husband, who is a wine educator, looked at the menu but couldn't see bottles with ages mentioned. So he asked the waiter, 'What are the oldest wines on the menu?'

The waiter, who hails from Moldova, between Russia and Romania, was helpful. 

He had in stock, not on the menu because not much supply, and not much demand, a couple of bottles which were very old but also very pricey, about a hundred pounds or more. Interesting, but beyond our budget.

So my husband's next uestion was, what's the oldes wine here on the menu?

He found us a Barolo which was agreeable even to me and I don't usually like red wines.

A Barolo red wine. Brand name Riva Leone. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Barolo is a red wine, from a specified region, using a Nebiolo grape.

But what if you don't want anything so esoteric, just a family meal?

They also had a children's menu.

A Few Translations 

burrata is a type of cheese.

 https://www.deradabrasserie.co.uk/menu

Please share links to your favourite posts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fine Wine Lunch In Historical Cavalry & Guards Club Where Portraits of the Queens and Commanders Surround you

Finding A Birthday (or anniversary) Venue - and BYO